North-eastern Agricultural Fair 2018 concludes in Meghalaya

Guwahati, January 10: The North-eastern Agricultural Fair 2018, that began on January 06 at the Indian Council of Agricultural Research Complex, Umiam, Meghalaya concluded yesterday.

Radha Mohan Singh, Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Govt. of India inaugurated the four days Agri fair with the theme “Drive to doubling income of Tribal Farmers in North East India” and lauded the efforts of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), NEH Region in launching the centrally sponsored schemes wherein 90% assistance is being provided by the centre and the rest 10% by state, to double the income of the farmers, on a pilot basis in the villages adopted by them in the next five years.

The opening ceremony was attended by various dignitaries that included Dr YR Meena, Additional Commissioner (Extension), DAC & FW, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare, Govt. of India, Dr Randhir Singh, Assistant Director General, Agricultural Extension Division, ICAR, New Delhi, Professor M Premjit Singh, Vice Chancellor, Central Agricultural University, Imphal, Dr BC Deka, Director, ATARI Zone III, Umiam, Meghalaya and Dr AK Tripathi, Director, ATARI, Guwahati. The Agri fair souvenir and CD on successful technological intervention for doubling farmer’s income in NE India were launched by Radha Mohan Singh on the opening day.

Three MoUs, facilitated by The Zonal Technology Management Unit (ZTMU) of ICAR RC for NEH Region, Umiam were signed at the fair. The Regional Agriculture Fair (RAF) during the four days gave special focus on finding ways and solutions to sustain income security from prevalent traditional forms of agriculture and also initiate the revolution of doubling farmers’ income in the NE region. The four days also witnessed brain storming sessions on the same.

The closing ceremony was graced by Dr KK Baruah, Principal Scientist & Head, Division of Animal Production, Dr C Rajkhowa, Former Director, ICAR-NRC on Mithun, Medziphema in Nagaland, Chief Guest Ram Muivah, Secretary, NEC, Govt. of India and Dr Arnab Sen, Principal Scientist & Head, Division of Social Science. The ceremony ended with the distribution of Institute and RAF Stall Awards by the Dignitaries.

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.